This a delicious and surprisingly light and nutty soup made with pumpkin, white beans, garlic and fresh herbs. It’s vegan but is delicious if topped with soft and creamy goat cheese! Whip this up in 25 minutes, eat a huge bowl and feel good about it too!
- 1 small pumpkin, peeled, de-seeded and cut into small pieces
- 1 small white onion, cut finely
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 can of great northern beans (or other white bean)
- 1 tsp of cumin
- 1/2 tsp on cinnamon
- 1 tbsp of apple cider vinegar
- 3 cups of water (can substitute one cup for coconut or almond milk)
- 1 tbsp of sunflower butter (or almond butter)
- 1 tbsp of tahini
- Fresh thyme or parsley
- 1 tbsp on sunflower seeds
- 1 tsp of honey
- 1 additional tsp of cinnamon
- Salt and pepper to season
In a large pan sauté the onion in a little olive oil and season well with salt and pepper. When it has begun to soften add the cumin, cinnamon and apple cider vinegar. Sauté for a further 5 minutes. Add the pumpkin and the water. Boil for about twenty minutes or until pumpkin has soften. Add the white beans and cook for a few more minutes. Pour to a blender (you may need to do this in batches), add the sunflower butter, fresh herbs and more salt to taste. Blend until smooth.
For the seeds, pre-heat oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit. Put the seeds, honey, 1 tsp of cinnamon and additional salt in an oven proof dish. Coat thoroughly with honey and bake for about 1o minutes. Remove, allow to cool until honey hardens and crumble on top of soup. Serve with goat cheese and fresh herbs.